Generally, characters can be remarkable or highly trained but are
otherwise ordinary and mundane. Psionic abilities or Luck are a few, notable
exceptions. Campaign rules are shown below:-
- Starting point value is 160.
- Disadvantage limit is 50 points.
- Campaign tech level is 9 but Centauri and Minbari have personal TL
- Consult primary, secondary, background, disadvantages and psionics
Attributes and Physical Characteristics
- Basic attributes, Will and Perception (B14-17) must be within 7 and
15, though racial templates adjust these limits.
- Hit Points and Fatigue Points (B16) may only be altered by up to 4
for TL 9 characters or 5 for TL 10 characters.
- Basic Speed (B17) may only be altered by up to 2.0.
- Basic Move (B17) may only be rasied by up 3 yards/second.
- Appearance (B21) uses the Androgynous and Universal options, costing
±5 points per level.
Culture, Language and Social Characteristics
- Low TL (B22) is not recommended.
- As most Centauri and Minbari technology and tools are restricted, TL
10 skills aren't as useful as the TL 9 equivalents and High TL (B23) does not
apply. Even TL 10 'tech head' characters can claim to have studied only
'obsolete' TL 9 technology and equipment. Those buying TL 10 skills or
restricted equipment can use High TL Exile (Technician with few tools) or (Few
tools) (see HR1.1).
- Each race has just one culture.
- Non-humans must buy Cultural Familiarity (Human) .
- Cultural Intuition (HR 2.3) is reduced to 10 points.
- Separate spoken and written language comprehension levels aren't
- Non-humans must buy English (Accented)  or English (Native)  as
- Wealth other than Average is not recommended for plot reasons, PCs
will acquire the wealth for their own spaceship and be given the CPs to gain
the higher Wealth level from Average. Those with lower Wealth would have to pay
- Earth Alliance, Centauri Republic and Narn Regime counts as a large
class of people (x1/2). Minbari Federation and each Non-aligned race counts as
a small class due to isolationism or small size (x1/4).
- As PCs will appear to be free agents, Rank of any kind is generally
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Only up to 3 Talents are allowed.
- Contact Group skill categories: Business, Humanities, Law and
Political Affairs, Medical/TL9, Military, Police, Scientific/TL9, Street and
- The optional Area of Influence applies to the military and government
departments not marked in World:
- The Tough Skin limitation of Damage Resistance is reduced to
- No more than 16 points may be paid for a skill, resulting in maximum
of attribute+5 for Easy skills to +2 for Very Hard skills. Talents and other
advantages can still raise skill levels above this.
- The Blinded by Science, Globetrotting, Gun
Fight, Personal Weapons and Reliable Machines skill
amalgamations are in effect.
Only a few restrictions apply to character concepts
- Must appear to be a free agent with only loose allegiences to
important organisations at best. Characters may have their own, secret
loyalties but don't forget this a space opera and good guys can turn out to be
- Must be more inclined towards idealism or altruism than selfishness
or tribalism, even if only vaguely - B5 is a space opera, after all.
- Must be equal partners of a newly formed, private investigator
business on Babylon 5 with the other PCs employer PCs overruling
employee PCs probably isn't fun when deciding which contracts to pick up or
news items or rumours to follow.
A character's set of skills and abilities need not be
explained with a backstory but must be plausible. However, almost anything is
plausible. Conveniently possessing a set of skills suitable for the job of
private investigator can be explained as military service, multiple career
changes or private training towards this dream job.